"Come on in, make yourself at home, and take off your pants!" TV's Craig Ferguson

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wow.... This shoe tastes like real leather!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm somewhat notorious for putting my foot in my mouth. I will give some of my classics a little later, but I really stepped in it yesterday.

So, I get to my classroom, put my bag under the desk, and then head to get a quick cup of coffee before I die (literally)! So, as I'm walking down the hall, two young men are walking towards me and I can't help but stare. One gentlemen was about 6 foot 3, while the other young man stood at say 5'-1". What I found so amazing, besides their incredible difference in height, is that they were both wearing the exact same suit! Black pants and coat, white shirt, black shoes, and this red and gold tie with stripes that ran from northwest to southeast.

They catch me staring so as not to be one of those rude people that stare and gawk, I blurted out he first thing that came to mind. I really wish I hadn't. "What? Are you two brothers or something? Because those are some great Jehovah's Witness uniforms you've got there." As soon as we passed, I dropped my shoulders and lowered my eyes to the ground and felt absolutely terrible about what I said.

After I worked my foot out of my mouth, I definitely needed coffee to wake me up and now to wash the taste of leather out of my mouth. I walked about 100 feet to the coffee counter, ordered my drink, and stood there waiting until I hear, "So, you're familiar with our teachings and our good works?" I turned around and the two gentlemen that I just finished laughing at were standing there with their pamphlets and books in hand and started trying to sell me on their teachings and beliefs.

I absolutely panicked, but luckily my drink was finished. The coffee lady handed me my drink, I took a big gulp, and then interrupted them mid-sentence. "Look fellas. There is absolutely nothing you could say to get me to trade in my truck for a bike and helmet and take up your cause, but...."

"Oh, you should never make a decision before you have all of the information and I know if we can talk to you for just....."

"But," I started again, "I feel really bad about making fun of you two (even though I was right) so I'm heading to class which is down this hall, up two flights of stairs, and down another hall. If you guys want to follow me to the doorway of my class then you can feel free to tell me whatever you want about your organization and your good works."

I figured it was the most polite way to tell them to leave me alone, and with that I walked in between the two gentlemen and started heading on my way. I get no more than two steps closer to my class and I start to hear these same two gentlemen speaking over my shoulder. I couldn't believe they were going to follow me, but I did give them that option so I just headed for class. I had to look like such an ass walking through the crowded halls drinking my caffeinated beverage (which is a no-no for Jehovah's Witnesses) as two well dressed young men walked and talked over my shoulder!

I really need to learn to keep my mouth shut, or at least count to five before I speak extemporaneously!

No comments:

Post a Comment