"Come on in, make yourself at home, and take off your pants!" TV's Craig Ferguson

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Living the un-Apple lifestyle

In today's society of instantaneous, worldwide communication, companies can't afford poor customer service. Word of mouth advertising is crucial to any popular product's development and marketing agenda. The risk with this marketing strategy is that the consuming public can use their global communication tools to tell the world how dissatisfied they are with a company or product. I'm sad to say that I am now one of those people.

I bought my iPhone 3G about 6 or 7 months ago and I absolutely loved it! I thought it was so great that I bought the Applecare extended service plan so that I would never have to go back to my old phone. My iPhone was my life. I had the email program set up to keep me up-to-date on my personal and school email. I tracked my calories, stayed current with my fantasy football teams, and tracked pending transactions in my checking account. Hell, I could even set up a wire transfer from my phone! Oh, and did I mention that it plays music too? I was so satisfied with this product that I was trying to figure out how to upgrade to the 3G S and I had plans to replace my desk machine and laptop with Apples while I could get the college student discounted price. I bought the "iLife" hook, line, and sinker!

Last week, I pulled my iPhone out of my pocket only to discover a crack in the screen. I hadn't dropped it and there was nothing else in my pocket. The screen hadn't shattered, but these cracks started branching out. I would say that maybe 5 percent of the screen was cracked. I was pretty upset, but very thankful I purchased the Applecare warranty. I called AT&T and was pleased to find out that the phone had a 1 year warranty which wasn't up, so I didn't even need the extended package. The nice lady over the phone suggested that I take the phone to an Apple store so that I didn't have to be without a phone for a few days. They would look at my phone and replace it on the spot.

Yesterday was my appointment so I drove 22 miles from Avon to Keystone and waited an hour for service. As I was waiting my turn at the genius bar, I started to evaluate my surroundings. This store was just one big flashy marketing campaign. All the employees were these hip and trendy, well dressed twenty somethings. Billboard's Top 50 was blaring throughout the store and there were plasma screens everywhere playing Apple commercials that informed this anxious, excited public of all the cool things you can do with a Mac! That's when I realized that I was hosed.

I started thinking about all the commercials with Drew Barrymore's boyfriend and this meticulously crafted placement and decorating campaign when it hit me. Ferrari doesn't advertise because they don't have to. When companies have to go above and beyond to market their already popular products, it's because they constantly have to replace all the unsatisfied customers they are losing. Hyundai and Kia offer ten year warranties on their cars to beat down the public's perception of poor quality. That also means that they are confident enough with their product that they can afford that service. If this broken screen isn't covered, then this must be happening all the time.

It was as this thought rang through my head that the iTech took one look at my phone and said, "yep, it needs a new display. It's going to cost you 200 bucks."

"It's okay, I bought this Applecare package because I figured this would happen."

"Yeah, that doesn't cover accidental damage like dropping the phone."

"Oh, I didn't drop it. I pulled it out of my pocket and it was like this."

"Sorry, it isn't going to be covered."

"In the last hour, I've seen 6 people bring their broken phones in here because they dropped it. Every single one had the screen completely shattered. Like 90 percent of the screen. So then how did I "drop" mine and the display not shatter? We're talking less that 5 percent here."

"Sir, we don't make that distinction. So, would you like me to replace the display or give you a replacement phone?"

"You know, I've already paid $200 for this phone, not to mention for all the apps and whatnot, I'm not going to pay another dime. I think I'll just go back to my old phone."

Another iTech standing beside him interjected, "I'm sorry you're so unhappy."

I replied, "Actually, I'm not. From the looks of things, this iLife I was considering is going to be pretty expensive. So this experience is actually going to save me money because I will never buy an Apple product ever again." So, I got in the car, drove the 22 miles back to Avon, walked down to the basement, and pulled my Samsung Blackjack 2 out of storage. I charged it up and transferred the information. It actually took me less that an hour!

So now, the iDream is over. I'm going to have to be more careful with my checkbook since I can't see the pending transactions and my calorie tracking in now a little notepad, a pen, and my pocket calorie content handbook. I'm going to keep buying PC's at full price and carry three or four devices to manage my needs because I would much rather be seen as a mindless PC follower that knowingly buys defective/imperfect equipment than to be seen as a sucker or a trick. You only get one chance to make a lasting impression, and as far as I'm concerned, Apple blew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment