"Come on in, make yourself at home, and take off your pants!" TV's Craig Ferguson

Friday, January 30, 2009

In even the darkest of days....

I don't know how to say this, but today was just AWFUL! We had a foot of snow and every ounce is still on the ground. My girlfriend has been without a vehicle because her car is in the garage and her driveway is absolutely impossible for her van. It slopes in five or six different directions, but I've been rolling up and down it just fine because I have a big truck with four-wheel drive. I was heading out to meet "my princess" at the bus stop and I just didn't seem to give the driveway the "oomph" and respect that it deserved and i got hung up in the field of snow. "This is impossible," I thought. "I have four-wheel drive." I tried to manipulate the truck in every way I knew how, but to no avail.

An hour and a half later, I'm shoveling like a madman because we need to drop off the little one at her dads, torquing like mad, pissed angry, and I'm thinking, "boy, this is gonna kill my back in a few hours." I tried moving the truck again and when I slid sideways, I just lost it. "Goddamn-it" I shouted and punched and kicked the truck. "My queen" heard me and bundled up and came outside. She asked what she could do to help, but I had no idea. I figured she made her obligatory offer and was heading back inside, but then she picked up a shovel and started moving snow. We worked for another hour and finally, the vehicle was free!

Two hours later, the muscle aches started; just as I predicted. I was in bed the rest of the night alternating spots to apply hot and cold. As we lay in bed exhausted and sore after a pretty miserable day and looking at a daunting-ly painful future, the uncontrollable urge to make love came over us and we shared a moment that will live in our hearts long after the snow melts and this awful winter changes to spring. As it ended, we laid there and held each other and we each knew that there was no place in the world that we'd rather be and that if we had to endure all of today's pain and aggravation for that moment then we'd gladly get our shovels and start all over again!

Looking back, I don't know which was more special. The making love or the working together to get the truck free. It was cold, we were tired, miserable, and wet, but it was so nice that when things were so dark that we each got to endure with the person that mattered most of each of us. I thought that type of love affair happened only in the movies. I am so grateful that I have a girlfriend that wants to put in her half to the relationship and I don't know what I'll do with myself and all this extra effort! For now, I'm thinking using the hot pad religiously and lots of BenGay, but then after that, "the world is my oyster!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment